Three-year-old Faye was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia on April 11, 2011. After 135 days in the hospital, Faye was able to spend 3 years at home. On September 5th 2014 she was told that she had relapsed. She was able to achieve a second remission and had a bone marrow transplant on Oct 17th 2014.


Friday, August 19, 2011

Everyone needs a Mitchell!!!

Last Sunday evening Faye asked if Mitchell could come visit, when Nick and I made the switch! Then it turned into Mitchell staying the night.....which then turned into him staying all week with Faye and I! And since school is starting on Monday, she was almost done with chemo, and her counts weren't quite zeroed out yet...we figured why not!

These two really are best friends! They love each other so much, and have the greatest time together!

But don't get me wrong.....Life is still normal.....they were fighting about what to watch, so they needed a talking to! Neither of them were happy about it as you can see!

Mitchell is always great, he is really good about making Faye laugh!

....and singing the ABC's while she does her mouthwash!

...and showing her the ropes....jump rope that is! They tried, but it just never quite worked with the glow sticks!

Morning juice and a cartoon! These two really are best friends!

Mitchell really hated his time here.....they have play stations in each play DVDs, and they also have games at the front desk you can get! When he saw they had a WALL-E game....he just had to have it.....and to say he was in Heaven....well what do you think?

What a lucky mom I am, it was nice to get this time for me also to be able to hang out with Mitchell! The only time I get Mitchell time, is on the weekends, and weekends go by so fast, so it was fun having him here!

Most nights though, Mitchell was asleep early, and Faye would stay up late! One morning Faye had a whistle thing, one of the nurses asked where she got it from, "I said from her party last night" Mitchell then looks at me and says "Faye had a party last night" and got a little teary...that he had missed it. I quickly explained to him she didn't really have a party, and it was just a figure of speech, then he was okay with it all.

But here is Faye out "partying!"

And crashing, Faye fell asleep on the couch.....her legs slowly fell off the couch, but she was still asleep! And of course nothing wakes Mitchell up!

Mitchell was nice enough to play house with Faye! This is her, she had a baby in her belly, she was resting, "cuz that's what moms with babies in their belies do!"

Them playing house was the cutest thing ever! I didn't get too many pictures, because if Faye knows you are taking a picture of her doing something she stops....or gets out of character!
They went fishing off of her bed, then they took the fish home and cooked it. While they were standing there cooking it, Faye put her arm around Mitchell laid her head on his shoulder and said "I love you sweetheart.". It was too cute! Then anything she would ask him it was "should we do this sweetheart, what do you want to do sweetheart, or that's a good idea sweetheart!"

Faye and her friend Rylee! she came to our room to visit for a bit, they tried on a few hats, and played with Fayes baby....neither of them could get enough of changing the babies diaper!

This is what Faye and I do a lot when it is just her and I, she wants me to hold her, and we watch a show! Mitchell was nice enough to snap a shot of it!

Good ol Chemo! It's not often...or ever in your life you get blue medicine put into you, Faye said we needed a picture of it!

Dr. Thompson needed a new home for this tiger, so he decided Fayes room would be the perfect place for "mike the tiger" to come visit! Of course in true Faye fashion, the tiger needed to be dressed up!

The kids also had a great time with this guy too! The played "Aladdin" and pretended this was the tiger, Faye was Jasmine, Mitchell was Aladdin, and her bike was their magic carpet!
Also I caught Faye a few times dancing with the tiger! I have a few short videos of it, but of course when she saw I was videoing she would stop! but she would sing the Sleeping Beauty song, and hold his hand an twirl herself around.
Our time with Mitchell was well worth it! But last night he had to go home, and Faye was not so happy about it, she always gets super upset when he has to leave. Last night was especially sad! Cuz usually on Thursday nights is when Nick and I trade. But Wednesday night Matt (who has been staying at our house helping take care of the boys, and visiting Julia and Covey who have been here a few weeks already, while he is on break from school) anyways he was feeling sick. And Thursday he felt even worse, he left to fly home Thursday morning...poor guy! Anyways just to be safe we decided Nick would come pick up Mitchell, and I would stay here through the weekend...instead of trading, so Faye was sad, she loves her time hanging out with Nick! We probably are being ridiculously cautious, but we didn't want Nick to carry something here and give it to Faye, and we didn't want me to go home, pick up something, and not be able to be here next week with Faye! So we figured it was our best option!
So this craziness that these two do is not happening this weekend!

I am bummed I can't go to Mitchells meet the teacher night tonight!
And when I get to see this guy will have been almost two weeks!

But we knew stuff like this was going to happen, and we would rather be safe than sorry!
Faye already was developing a little runny nose and a cough...and we don't need it to get worse! No we will see, but this just morning...we got put on this....

"contact precautions" Faye is not able to leave the room, and anyone that comes in has to wear a gown, gloves, mask, and throw all that stuff away in the room before they leave!
Faye is feeling fine, she is still running around, playing, and a bit upset she can't go on "walks" so we will stick with it, and hope this runny nose and cough doesn't get any worse!

Luckily this morning before she was put in contact precautions, Melissa (the mother I talked about in the previous post) and her other daughter Cecelia, stopped by and did crafts with Faye!

Sorry about the lack of posts, and now this marathon post! If you knew what kind of blogger I am ( our family blog is always only marathon posts) you would understand!
Lastly here are some funny things about Faye lately! She gets a big kick out of when I ask her something she says "okay your majesty" a really drawn out sarcastic tone! Makes me laugh every time!
And then just last night she got these pumpkin stickers out and decided we needed to play a match game with them.

I can't tell you how many times we would flip them over trying to find the match! But here they are matched Faye decided! If you can figure out how they match good for you!
Fayes counts just came down, so now we get to just hangout, and wait for them to make their way up! Hopefully contact precaution is exciting as it gets around here!


Lark (SparkyLarky)@ Lark's Country Heart said...

Stacey, Thank you so much for this post! I can see the love between Faye and her brother!(all of you actually) Minutes,Hour's,Day's and Week's may come and go but the love of a family last forever!

You and Nick are amazing parents and I love the attitude you have. Keep things positive and Prayers said. :)

Eric and Jenny said...

Stace it just wouldn't be a post from you if it wasn't a martathon post. Which is great cause that's my favorite kind!

So many things to love, love that partying girl out in the hall, love the tiger all dolled up, love little mommy Faye relaxing with her baby belly.

I am so glad Mitchell got to hang out with you guys for the week, especially now that school is starting. Looks like you all put the week to really good use.

I don't blame you a bit for not trading places, I would have done the same thing. Never too safe.....and yes contact precaution better be all there is to it, no funny business!

Melissa, Benton, and Cambree said...

Mitchell really does sounds like the best brother. I love that they are best friends and play so well with each other. Don't you love their imaginations? I wish I was entertained as easily as them. Reading about them playing Aladdin made me laugh, sounds a little too familiar. I'm glad she's doing well. I bet you do miss your other kiddos but you are such a wonderful mom staying with Faye, sounds like you girls enjoy snuggling with each other. Loved reading this post!

The Nelsons said...

Great post! Sorry about being stuck in the room. That stinks! And sorry about Matt's germs. I feel really bad that you missed Mitchell's back to school night and a weekend with Nixon. :( I sure love hearing all the little details of how Faye spends her time.

Cute Carbines said...

I talked to mom today, she told me about the switch. I'm sorry! It's gotta be tough not seeing Nixon for 4 days let alone 2 weeks! I have always loved watching Mitchell and Faye play together, he is such a protective big brother and always will be. I love you guys so much!!!

Thiago & Teri said...

Great pictures Stace, and so many cute little Mitchell and Faye moments. I love that through all of this they still bicker and fight just like all siblings. Must be kinda refreshing, to have that little bit of normalcy.

So good talking to you the other day, thanks for calling. It was good to hear your voice. Good luck this week, sorry about not being able to go home for a bit. Crazy that you won't see the baby for 2 weeks, he will probably look so big to you. Its all gonna be worth it though. This is all just a small little minute of time in the grand scheme of things.

Love ya-

Ryan and Hetz said...

That is so great Mitchell got to spend the week! It looks like he and Faye had a blast! I will be praying for her runny nose to go away.

Piano Mom said...

That is so special that Mitchell got to spend time with you and Faye in the hospital. Cancer is so hard on the other kids too, it can be difficult to see your sibling having "fun" at the hospital. (btw, have you joined supersibs? They send stuff like a trophy and books, etc to your non-cancer kids)

My other kids loved being at the hospital with Erin, but as the rounds got going we had less and less time with the kids there because it was just too risky.

I am sorry Nick had to stay home for his shift. That is always the scarriest when you might get sick so you have to adjust your staying with Faye person. One time John had to stay with Erin for 8 straight days because I had a stomach bug, it was the longest 8 days of my life. I hated having our family torn apart, especially seeing Erin's empty chair and bed at our house.

I hope you guys are doing well. I check up on your blog all the time, thanks for the post!