Three-year-old Faye was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia on April 11, 2011. After 135 days in the hospital, Faye was able to spend 3 years at home. On September 5th 2014 she was told that she had relapsed. She was able to achieve a second remission and had a bone marrow transplant on Oct 17th 2014.


Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Theres No Place Like Home

I just wanted to share with you all of few pictures, and thoughts from Fayes first trip home since all of this started.

Small disclaimer: I am not the best writer, nor am I the best at organizing my thoughts, and usually my posts just turn into ramblings, but at least you knew beforehand.

I never knew just being able to be a family all under one roof would make me feel so happy. I was excited to not only prepare a meal for my family, be able to sit down at the same table, have everyone tell me how delicious it was, and better yet.....everyone ate it! I didn't mind so much when Faye took something of Mitchells and he would chase her around the couch yelling "give that back, it is mine Faye" and Faye laughing that she had again been able to tease Mitchell. I had a smile on my face the whole time I was able to clean floors, and bathrooms, knowing Faye was in the other room, introducing Nixon to all of his baby toys. I know probably some of you are thinking, on a trip home away from the hospital you were cleaning bathrooms instead of hanging out with your kids? But if we had a "normal" life, and on a "normal" day that is what I would have been doing.

So although Nick and I debated about taking Faye home. We had told the doctors numerous times that we didn't want to go home, that we just wanted to stay at the hospital. We were nervous about something going wrong being so far away, we were nervous if we would be able to handle flushing her line? (which now we realize isn't such a big deal) Because the idea of taking everything home from her room, just to come back in two days and bring it all back, seemed like a huge undertaking, and we wouldn't really even get a lot of time to hang out. But when the doctors said we could take her home for about a week, that was just an opportunity we could not pass up. Everything went smoothly, we were able to organize her stuff a little bit better. And within the first few minutes home Nick and I realized we needed this much more than we could have ever imagined.

Just taking care of her babies.

Getting in some Mario Kart time with Mitchell. Mitchell sets it up so they play as a team, so all Faye has to do in the game is throw the turtle shells and such. But she doesn't know that, she still thinks she has to steer too. And besides who cares, as long as she is the princess she is good to go.

Someone came and planted these flowers in our front yard when I was gone. I was so happy about it, it was the first thing I noticed when I got home. Faye loved watering them.

Her favorite things to do at home: catch bubbles, and go on walks.

She had sure been missing out on getting to take a "big" bath. We wrapped her arm in Saran wrap, to make sure her line didn't get wet. But Still she had to keep her arm out of the water.

One of Faye's most favorite foods is corn on the cob. When she was little and we would be shucking it, she would just pick a cob up and start eating it raw.

When I was getting Nixons PJs on I was showing Faye that he had a hat that matched his PJs. When she realized this, she was quick to grab her "night night" hat too. Of course Mitchell couldn't miss out. And Nixon was super happy about the whole event.

When we were able to go home the doctors said we couldn't take her anywhere inside, because of the risk of getting her sick. But they did say outside was okay. So she got to go to her first, and last one of Mitchells
t-ball games. I think that was a good thing that she hasn't been able to go to more because halfway through she wanted to go home.

Doing some projects with Mitchell, a little play dough, and some paint!

And of course to end the trip some rides on Dad!

Just what we needed to get us energized for round two!

~Stacey (Fayes Mom)


Eric and Jenny said...

Stace you are a good writer, it means so much to hear it from your words. I cry often thinking of how much you must miss the everyday normal life. I remember after Luke cleaning bathrooms just felt so darn good again. I am so happy that time was a treasured memory for you guys. I wondered if being home would make going back that much harder, but I think you really do have to draw on the happier better times to get you through the hard stuff. Wonderful pictures and stories, it made my heart so happy to read this post.

Yesterday was such a happy day for me booking that flight, I am counting down the days my sweet friend. I can't wait to just hug you away!!

Lark (SparkyLarky) said...

Oh...I loved this post! I was smiling and crying!

THANK YOU, for sharing such special moments in your life with us.

Melissa, Benton, and Cambree said...

Stace, I'm so glad Faye was able to come home with you guys for a week...I bet you all really needed it! All of your pics are too cute, it looks like you all stayed busy. When reading your post I kept thinking how the small things are really what matters in life. Glad you guys were able to spend some much needed time together!

The Nelsons said...

Thank you for the post!I know it is so nice for everyone to hear it straight from your mouth sometimes. I love seeing all the "normal" things Faye likes to do when she's home. And uhh... let me know about this new background. I took me forever to figure out how to get it on here and it looks just right on my computer screen but Nick said it looked all messed up on his work computer. So, let me know if I need to take it off. Love you!!

Marie Steele said...

You just posted on our daughter, Rachel's, blog. I have been reading up on Faye and her battle with AML. I'm assuming she's had 2 rounds of chemo now? What a sweet little girl! Our hearts go out to you and your family. So happy to hear she has a match too. Have they set a target date for her transplant? Please know that we will add your family to our prayers--we have many little cancer friends that we are pulling for! If you ever want to contact us you can email me at

Mandy said...

I am so happy to see little Faye is home! I am sending your family and Faye happy thoughts and best wishes. Thanks for sharing your moments with us.

Holly said...

I love this post and seeing your family the way it should be!! Best wishes and praying Faye will get better, and in the immediate, that the fever has improved.